By unlocking his cellphone, state investigators say they have independently corroborated that an armed Winston Smith Jr. filmed members of a U.S. Marshals Service fugitive task force surrounding his car at an Uptown Minneapolis parking ramp before they fatally shot him nearly 3½ years ago.
The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) announced Tuesday that its digital evidence examiners took a second run at the phone and retrieved the video after software tried more than 780,000 possible passwords before hitting the right one on Nov. 21.
The BCA’s announcement is the first time it has corroborated the video’s existence, more than a year after the Minnesota Star Tribune reported that a private forensic expert hired as part of a civil case had recovered the footage. The agency began its digital password guesswork in October 2023, or about five weeks after the Star Tribune’s report, said BCA spokeswoman Jill Oliveira.
The 35-second video could have been a critical piece of evidence in the direct aftermath, as conflicting accounts of what precipitated the shooting fueled claims from protesters that Smith was “assassinated” and raised questions on whether Smith pulled a gun or was just raising his phone and whether the undercover task force announced itself. There was no bodycam or dashcam footage to answer these questions.
The BCA said it “can now independently confirm that [the video] captures the incident” in south Minneapolis on June 3, 2021, when Smith was killed. Crow Wing County Attorney Donald F. Ryan evaluated the BCA’s case file and in October 2021 ruled that the shooting was justified and decided no charges would be filed.
The video from Smith’s phone and related reports are now under review by the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office, which has custody of the case file, the BCA said. The office is declining to say what might come of its review or whether it considers the case formally reopened.
In a statement issued moments after the BCA’s on Tuesday, County Attorney Mary Moriarty said, “We appreciate the BCA’s due diligence and promptness in sharing the video after it was recovered. We will communicate further updates as available.”
Neither the BCA nor Moriarty disclosed any specifics about what the video shows other than the encounter in general, although sources detailed its contents to the Star Tribune last year.